Nashville Ballet DEBUTED at
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Washington, DC │ April 17-23, 2017
Photos © Heather Thorne, taken at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
“Throughout Ballet Across America, the greatest moments were the simplest. It was lovely to encounter [Kayla] Rowser in Nashville Ballet’s Concerto, created by Paul Vasterling, the artistic director. Rowser was the standout…with her calm, ease of movement and understated charm.” – Sarah Kaufman, The Washington Post
“The company moves as one with absolute precision through complicated formations, weaving between the principal dancers. It's a true display of virtuosity.” – Hannah Landsberger, Broadway World
“Vasterling excels in his large group choreography…demonstrating the company’s versatility and fluidity.” – Lisa Traiger, DC Metro Theater Arts
“Vasterling has done more than make a serviceable ballet that shows off his entire company… [He] did keep one watching Concerto and made doing so earnest fun.” – George Jackson, Dance View Times
“[A]n eclectic showcase of styles.” – Hilary Stroh, Bachtrack
More in the news
- "Review: Ballet Across America Showcases a New Day in Dance at The Kennedy Center" by Carolyn Kelemen, DC Metro Theater Arts
- "Review: Misty Copeland’s Curated Ballet Across America at The Kennedy Center" by Alexander Kafka, DC Theatre Scene
- "Review: Ballet Across America - Opening Night Celebration 2017" by Oksana Khadarina, DanceTabs
- "Review: Ballet Across America at The Kennedy Center" by Kristin Franco, Maryland Theatre Guide
- "BWW Feature: Ballet Across America at Kennedy Center - Curated by Justin Peck and Misty Copeland" by Scott Serio, Broadway World
- "BWW Feature: Ballet Across America at Kennedy Center" by Scott Serio, Broadway World
- "Misty Copeland and Justin Peck on Curating New Ballet Across America Series," (Livestream Video featuring Nashville Ballet Company Class) ABC News
- "Justin Peck, Misty Copeland Curate Ballet Across America Series" by Sarah Kaufman, The Washington Post
- "Misty Copeland, Justin Peck Curate Ballet Across America" by Jason Fraley, WTOP
- "Misty Copeland and Justin Peck Curate Ballet Across America" by Nicole Loeffler-Gladstone, Pointe Magazine
- "Nashville Ballet Takes Ben Folds Project to Prestigious Kennedy Center" by Amy Stumpfl, The Tennessean
What is Ballet Across America?
The Kennedy Center honors innovation and diversity in American ballet with the return of Ballet Across America. Placing artists at the center of the conversation as never before, the weeklong celebration explores new directions in the art form through programs curated by two of the biggest superstars in the ballet world: American Ballet Theatre Principal Dancer Misty Copeland and New York City Ballet Resident Choreographer and Soloist Justin Peck.
Performing on our nation’s stage: Why Was it significant?
The Kennedy Center is our nation’s performing arts center, presenting the greatest examples of music, dance and theater. With a debut performance at The Kennedy Center, Nashville Ballet highlighted the incredible talent groomed right here in Nashville, TN.
Why was Nashville Ballet chosen to perform at The Kennedy Center?
An invitation to be a part of this celebration of dance in America is an honor: Nashville Ballet showed dance fans across the country what makes Nashville Ballet a unique contributor to the field of dance. The selected work, The Ben Folds Project, is a creative collaboration between Nashville Ballet, genre-bending musician Ben Folds and the Nashville Symphony. It is a prime example of Nashville Ballet’s collaborative, innovative spirit.
“It's the collaborative spirit that makes The Ben Folds Project so unique. Part of a co-commission between the Nashville Ballet, the Nashville Symphony and the Minnesota Orchestra, Folds' Concerto reminds us of the depth of talent within Music City.” – Reviewer, Amy Stumpfl, The Tennessean